7.30.2009

how the French kiss

Our trip to Cali was a blast, and with so many pics.....i thought the easiest thing to do was to collage it for you. I am also linking a lot of the places where we dined and went wine tasting, since a lot of you emailed me for recommendations.

We flew into San Jose...which is about an hour south of San Francisco. Normally we drive over to Monterey from the airport and drive the coast down though Big Sur, but we got in a little late on Thursday...so we just drove the highway down to San Simeon. I HIGHLY recommend if you ever are driving thru Big Sur that you stop at Nepenthe and enjoy a glass of {overpriced} wine with a fantastic view of the ocean.

We stay in San Simeon, which is a teeny tiny coastal town with not much going on.....except for a fabulous beach condo that sits on the beach. We love coming here.....well.......the first being we have a FREE place to stay {thanks mom and dad}, but also because we LOVE the wineries that are situated on the pass from Cambia to Paso Robles.

We normally hit about 4- 5 wineries....always trying a few new ones but always going to these:

*Justin



*Adelaida



*York Mountain






We met up with old friends from when we used to live in the Bay area....and I also got to meet a new friend..darling Allegra with her cutie Ashton.

Alright........as you can see..we are wrapped up in blankets......I swore i should have brought my snuggli....would have been so cozy...and {pepto bismal} pink is so ravishing on me.

It's cold along the beach in July....just so you know.......and one more thing.....lots of wine=lots of calories=at least a month of dieting.

I'm just saying.

but maybe you have a better metabolism than i do.

oh....and the 2 trips to ' In and Out' sure doesn't help.....

and i don't eat beef.....that just goes to show you.....

i'm sure it was all the wine......actually i'm positive it was the wine.










I'm just going to let you in on a secret right now. We love to eat......and we love to eat because other people are making the food. Bryan was spoiled.....with 4 nights of people cooking for us......actually 3 nights because i did cook one night.....and i normally don't cook.

Robin's in our FAVORITE restaurant. We actually dined there 2 out of the 4 nights.....and one night we sat in their garden while a jazz band played. We had tapas with different wines ......and even watched Natalia come out to the garden to pick fresh herbs and edible flowers for our food....

o.k...i don't really know if Natalia is really her name....it could be Bertha for all i know....but Natalia sounds very sophisticated......and she thought i was a lunatic for following her around to get a picture.......so the least i could do is give her a good name.





Alright....... so i am saving the best for last.......

alright....it's not the best.......but it sure was cool....

while we were driving around...we came upon an R.V. dealership.........

with about 15-20 Airstream's.....all of them new....all of them beautiful.

I swear to goodness....i thought i saw Matthew standing in front of one......

but when we pulled up....he was gone.

*sigh*

oh well......i still managed to tour a few of them......and told Bryan that we NEED one.

not want one......but NEED one.

I mean......Bryan KINDA looks like Matthew.......at least he does when i close my eyes.




oh....one more thing....don't ask me how i came up with the title of this post.
I just thought it would be funny if someone googled 'how the french kiss'...they would stumble here
and read all about my love of Airstreams...and Matthew...and of course....wine.
xo






44 comments:

Laura said...

What a great post about a wonderful trip! You make me laugh out loud! Thanks so much for a daily dose of happiness!

paige said...

when i married gregg our honeymoon was to be a suprise...we flew into san fran , stayed in a fabulous hotel, then drove up the coast to sonoma
sonoma, i could live there
easily
no problem

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! what great fun!! and let me get this straight...this was without kids? Woo hoo!

ANdrea Villarreal said...

I love the central coast. We have our own little beach condo in Cayucos. Just down the road from where you were:)Oh and I love Robin's too!! I can't wait til we get to go back up the first of September. As for the Airstream you can have that one sister. I got all the camping out of me in my twenties;) Too bad about Matthew but I hear he doesn't wear deodorant so maybe it's a good thing he was just a mirage!

Backyard Candle Co. said...

That sounds like so much fun! I loooove wine, so that would have been right up my ally! I think I need to get away with my hubby.

LuLu said...

So jealous! I am!!! 5 days with my hubby in the Bay area is a dream. We have the best memories there! We are a foodie couple too so I love hearing where you went to eat and i'm having my wine as I catch up on blogs! great green door post completely agree with couple time!!!
xo

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

I love seeing people having so much fun!

susan said...

oh! I want to go.

Unknown said...

You crack me up girl - Natalia, love it! Looks like everything was incredible:)

T

Unknown said...

Glad y'all had fun! My Dad has three of those campers. They are the real deal vintage ones and all. One of them is an RV and he has never even used it. I start it every now then when He's out of town....if y'all get one and go cross country ..call us! We will have to hook up!

judy said...

I love Cambria. I also love Robins. The next time you stop in that area, go to SLO and eat at Novo's. Robin started Robins and then sold it. I hope you had a chance to stop at Birds of a Feather antique shop, one of my favorites and she has a booth at my antique show. Next time you come, come in the Fall the most beautiful time of the year and no people.

Connie from Beverly Hills California said...

The wine country is amazing!! So glad you had a great time. Please stop by when you can. Connie

vicki archer said...

It sounds like you had the best time and I love your title...xv

Tracy ~Seeking Refinement~ said...

trips alone with the hubby are SO important - and what fun you had, too...

Can't wait to hear about your visit with Allegra!

hugs -
T

Its So Very Cheri said...

I am starting a NEW Mr. Linky party. It will begin on Aug 10th so everyone will have a week and a half to think about their first post. I have a poll up for votes on which button should be the new button. The "party" is called The Knock Off Knock Out-where THRIFTY meets creative sensation. Go over and learn more about the new weekly event and I would appreciate if you would cast your vote and HELP pick the new button design and its the last week for the July GIVE-A-Way, if you would like to be a part of that event..
Cheri

Sarah said...

Awesome recap of your trip! Looks like some very well spent time! :) I love your thought on the french kiss post! LOL

Kasey said...

I've been to San Simeon! The lead singer of one of our favorite bands (Goldfinger) wrote a song about his favorite town, San Simeon. When we vacationed in California a few years ago, we drove down the coast, and we made sure to stop there. It's absolutely beautiful! I fell in love with the sea otters. : )

Alicia said...

I always say a week in wine country is worth a a month of treadmill. How ghastly is what you sip sticks!!!
It looks like a belle of the ball time was had by all. I also love your title idea. I will be pulling a bunko on that one.
Airstream luv...I saw one today in the local market lparking lot with red gingham curtains...no liee!!! I wish I could have waited for & beg a tour...lucky you.

a.love said...

oh friend...when we get our vintage caravan ;) all fixed up (oh yah, and purchased) we're road trippin' to IL :)
And, I might add, you look too adorable in an Airstream. San Simeon wouldn't know what to do with you :) I'd come over with Black Horse coffee and pretend like it was mine until you caught me ;)

Chablis said...

Trips, shopping, Abercrombie. Girl, you've got a good life. :)

Honey Bend Vintage said...

I had a really trying week, from home and work. Enough to put me over the edge. Your post brought things into perspective to me. You and your husband just seem like you truly enjoyed yourselves on your trip. Next week I am going to the family cottage with the whole family. I am going to appreciate and enjoy my husband and since they are there the lovely family so much.
Bristol

Suzanne : : S.HOPtalk said...

It's so good to hit re-set every once in awhile. Your beach hideaway looks amazing. I love that area. Love, love, love it! Welcome back.

traci said...

what a beautiful place. may have to add that to my list. i have only been to california once, in college, so i am sure my tastes have changed since then. love those airstreams. i can see you camping in one of those. cute.

Anonymous said...

I love the airstream, but sadly my husband does not. I guess I will have to camp without him.
Btw, I love your photo's ..so sweet.
Melissa

Tara said...

Needing this:
AIRSTREAM
VACATION
WINE
'nuff said!

XO

littlebyrd said...

Jealous over here...REALLY jealous!:) This looks like so much fun and i loved reading your story about it all :)

Anonymous said...

you seriously NEED that RV!!! Then camping would be cool! Love the pic of you and Allegra! How fun! LOVE the 4 pics under it! It seems like you had a great time! I'll have to try Natalia's cooking someday!

Rachel said...

looks like you had a fabulous trip! I love the airstreams...

paperbird said...

I love California. It looks like you and your hubby had a wonderful timee.
I would love one of those Airstreams but my hubby thinks all we need is a tent!

Laura said...

you look beautiful here in Cali. You should move here.

Rue said...

We NEED an Airstream too!

I miss it there so much sometimes, mostly the food and the ocean, but the seasons here make up for it ;)

xoxo,
rue

Fox :::.... said...

Oh what a nice trip. Looks like you guys had alot of fun. :)

It' an Evolution said...

I just passed a shop out in Big Rock that is selling Airsteam Like trailers...they have all styles and colors. When I go bach out there I will take some pictures for you...I think it would be so much fun to have one as well...oh the parties you could have while camping :) Glad you guys had a good time.

Jamie said...

Sounds like you had an amazing trip! I love San Simeon & Monterey. We go there as much as we can, which isn't often enough! Welcome home!

Farmgirl Paints said...

HEAVENLY. Love your pics Kasey. Looked like so much fun. You DO need one of those airstreams. How fun would that be?? Loved the pic when all of you are cuddled up in those snuggley things:)

Sarah said...

Kasey,
I have been trying to email you all morning and keep running into errors, it is either mine or yours that is being fussy. I will try to email you from another address sarahkc77.
:)

Anonymous said...

The title is adorable and it looks like you had a wonderful trip!

If you have a chance stop by my Blog and say hi!

Have a great day,
Aimee

Laurel said...

I think you came up with the title because you were thinking about Matthew. Ohhh Matthew, now I'm thinking about him....
We NEED an airstream as well so I understand. Really I do. Looks like you had a glorious time, you lucky girl. You deserved it! O.k. back to daydreaming about Matthew....

Leah C said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful trip! And you really should consider doing stand-up...or write a book because you are soooo funny:) Love your sense of humor!

Sarah said...

Hi Kasey,

I just tried again from my other email, you must have your spam blocker on high, I got returned email again. Hmmm, drama! ;)

Unknown said...

You so funny! Im still waiting on my music...ha!

stacy di said...

oh I'm jealous!!! you were in my old stompin' grounds...I remember when Paso was just a hick cow-town...who knew that someday it would be filled with fab little wineries?!!

and...if I ever would go camping...it would be in an airstream fo sho!

Alyssa said...

so so glad you had a wonderful little vacation with the hubby :) Looked absolutely great - all that talk of wine makes me wanna get that bottle out of my fridge right now :) I am counting the days til I get to go!! fun shots...

melissa said...

Oh my goodness ... I am so happy to know that someone else out there shares my affinity for airstreams! I always tell my husband that when the kids all go to college we are going to buy an airstream and travel around the country to visit them :)

Several years ago when we were going to drive with the kids from Illinois to California, we were looking for unusual places to see and visit. In that planning is when I came upon a trailer park in Bisbee, Arizona called Shady Dell Trailer Park where you can rent an airstream for the night, just like you would a hotel room. Each airstream was said to be decorated in a different theme. Needless to say, we didn't end up making that trip, but I love the idea of renting an airstream for a night or two :)
I also think it would be great fun to decorate an airstream. I've often thought one would make a great studio!

melissa