2.25.2010

Chicken in the house....

It's been two weeks....at least....

which means my hubby has asked for me to step up

and please cook something.

Remember my philosophy....

if you cook to often...

then the family will come to the realiziation

that i can indeed cook and will want me doing it everyday.

If i do it every two weeks....

then it's more like a treat..

in which no one actually expects it.

So here is what i made yesterday....

a family favorite around here.

Rotisserie chicken enchiladas.

(i will list the ingredients at the bottom of the post..but will walk you thu this easy peasy dish}



In a saucepan...combine 3 cups of chicken broth & 1/3 c flour.





Cook over medium heat...stirring until broth begins to thicken.




Once thickened...

add salsa, chillies, onion {optional}, garlic {optional}, sugar and seasonings.

















accidents do happen.

not a big deal.

just make sure you have clean hands when you fish the whisk out.

Seriously...do you know how hard it it so take photos while stiring?








Monterey jack cheese all cut into pieces.

{or you could go the easy route and buy shredded monterey jack....

but i happened to have a block of it in the fridge}







If you are NOT a chicken person...than i suggest you look away.

right now.

My family loves rotesserie chicken.....so much in fact..

that if i don't cut it all up right away for the enchiladas..

then they will eat it to the bone.

Anyways.....

cut up the chicken into pieces.....

you won't need all of the chicken..







This is where i like to get my little set up in place.....

all organized.






Make sure you have your baking dish all ready...

this recipe makes 2 batches...

so you can freeze one if you want.






Coat the bottom of the baking dish with the thickened sauce...



Soften the tortillas by dipping them in the hot mixture....

which is now simmering on very low.






Once you soften the tortilla...

place it open in the baking dish and fill with

chicken, some cheese, and black beans{optional}.




Roll it up and place them against each other...














My baking dish fits 6 total...but if yours is larger..then fit as many as you can.





This is where it gets good.

The secrets in the sauce....

you will add 3/4 c sour cream to the hot mixture now....












Mix thoroughly






and pour it over the enchiladas.




Don't be stingy.......go ahead and drown those puppies...

i mean chicken...

go ahead and drown that chicken....






Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese...

it's up to you....

little or a lot....

it's your family.




Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes.....

if you like guacamole....

then top it off with that.

I didn't have time to make my own...

seriously....have you seen a ripe avocado in winter?

nope..i didn't think so.

{so i bought the already made guac}
......



Rotisserie chicken Enchiladas:

3 c. chicken broth

1/3 c. flour

12 oz. jar of salsa

4 oz. can fire roasted green chillies

1 c. onion {optional}

1 chopped garlic clove {optional}

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. ground cumin

1/2 tsp oregano

1 can black beans

Rotisserie chicken, cut into small pieces

12 tortillas {corn or flour}

Monterey Jack cheese, cut into strips {or buy shredded}

3/4 c sour cream

1/2 c shredded cheese for sprinkling on the top {monterey, or mexican blend}

























62 comments:

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

un pollo es muy bueno....

that's all I have for Spanish words, so can I come for dinner, por favor?

Sheila said...

Ooh... I am sooo making these, thanks for sharing Kasey :)

smiles,
Sheila

adrienne said...

they look lovely! seriously, what do you eat the other 13 days that you don't cook?? I should have thought to ask that over on that question forum!

Andrea Villarreal said...

YUM looks delish Kasey. And so did that mac and cheese the other post. Maybe you cook more than you think;)

traci said...

you have the right idea you know. i wish you would have enlightened me years ago. great recipe. i will be making this next week. my cooking is almost done for the week. i rarely cook on weekends. no one is ever around.

*The Beautiful Life* said...

YUM! I think I just may try my hand at this!! :)

Every two weeks is about how I'm cookin' lately, too!

I'm good with that.

XOXO

Ruth

a.love said...

gimme gimme :)

FiftyCentLove said...

ok, that looks delish! Very similar to what I do, except I don't use Rotisserie chicken. Might have to do that. Here's my chicken enchilada recipe if you are interested http://50centofyourlove.blogspot.com/2009/09/creamy-chicken-enchiladas.html

Tracy ~Seeking Refinement~ said...

I am making this tonight!! I just cooked a chicken in the oven (not as good as the store-bought rotisserie) and will make "Kasey's Enchilladas" for the fam tonight.

I'll be sending all praises your way.

Better yet - why not just come on down here, and I'll whip up a batch of mean margaritas. Bummer part is they tend to be deadly, so you'll have to stay the night.....(and I don't use sweet & sour!) ;)

xoxoxoxo

Jo said...

I love all the white dishes!!!!!




ps- this looks tasty :)

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Looks so yummy, can't wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing.
Kristin

Unknown said...

Ooooh...I think this looks like a nice alternative to the green chile enchiladas that are served EVERYWHERE around here! :) Yumm!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

You crack me up with the no cooking philosophy. lol Love it. Your enchiladas look out of this world. I just love it. I really like enchiladas and have a similar recipe but will have to try yours. Thanks. Hugs, Marty

Kacey said...

Yum! I think I'll add this to my ideas for next week. You know, if I manage to get that organized.

Leah C said...

Looks yummy! Now, I'm in the mood for some enchiladas:) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Miriam said...

I love anything mexican....these look awesome. I'm going to have to try. Thanks for sharing!

Julie Harward said...

I LOVE the oops! And this recipe looks wonderful...I think you are an awesome cook! :D

Chablis said...

Oh my! That looks SOOOO yummy! I can't wait to try it out. It seems as though cooking may be a talent of yours...maybe you should embrace it and share the love!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Kasey,
These look amazing! My boys are the same way when it comes to rotisserie chicken, if I look away for a second the legs are gone.
Their fast!
Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to try it!
Have a great day.
Sincerely,
Melinda

littlebyrd said...

These look so good!!! My family would love them. I've been cooking the same 4 things M-Thur for the last 8 months and I think they are getting a little bit burned out :)

Amanda said...

I've always been on the "don't cook too often" bandwagon with you girl! I loathe cooking. Terrible chore!

Kiera said...

so sorry that you can't get a ripe avocado, just ate one yesterday...oh, but I live in sunny California!

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the recipe! I LOVE mexican food...can't wait to try these!!

Teresa said...

Kasey!
Yummmy!
And of course you had that OH SO CUTE dish to bake this in...and that oh so vintage laddel!!!
And...it looks like you are wearing something like FANCY doing that cooking!!! ;o)
However did you take those pics using just one hand?!!!
Looks delish!
xxooxx
I just adore this blog!

Mc Allen said...

omgaaaaaaaaaw this looks fab u lous!! I love ckn enchaladas and have never made them like this!! ps I have 4 girls, 3 teens and I totally do the whole"cook every few weeks" for 2 reasons 1. they complain about the food I make and 2. they truely get to feeling entitled!! Ive never met anyone who thought this way too!! xxoo LA

Shannon said...

those look delicious, I think I will be making these for dinner next week for sure!

Chez Zizi said...

I am stopping by Costco tomorrow to get my chicken.

Looks fabulous.

Zizette

LuLu said...

you just made me hungry! this looks delicious!!
thanks for the new recipe when i cook next time :)
xo,
LuLu

Paddywack Designs said...

Thanks, I think I will be a hero with my husband when I make these. Love, love, love your blog and the knobs I bought from you 2 years ago at the Country Living Fair... been a blog reader ever since.

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

Yum, yum! That sounds great, Kasey. I've already saved this to my "recipes" file so I can try it! :)

Ansley said...

Wahh! Drooling right now, enchiladas are my favorite Mexican food!
love the oops picture. haha :D
& thanks for struggling to take these pictures, looks really really good!

Jerri said...

MMM...yummy sounds a bit like my recipe but I think yours a bit "fancier" than mine but if you're interested I will share it with you as its really easy! I'll be doing a bit of cooking myself for my full house this weekend and can't wait! PS Sending all this stinking snow your way! :)

J.J. said...

that does look delicious. thanks for sharing :)

Bonnie said...

Well it definitely was such a treat for you to cook tonight. I see how well that method works. :)

Looks yummy, it is on my menu for next week!

Thanks for sharing the secret ingredient... who knew puppies were what made Mexican food so scrumptious. hehehe

teresa said...

oh i just love your site. Just found it a few posts ago :) Thanks for the recipe!!! Can't wait to try it. Happy weekend :)

Jami said...

oh those look yummy! will have to give them a try. thank you!

Lisa said...

Yummy! Can't wait to make them for my family.

Laura said...

they sell this frozen, ya know. Save your empty cartons, and next time, microwave the frozen meal but leave the empty cartons out.
just a thought

Little Emma English Home said...

MMMMMMMMM looks really good. I'll try ;)

kanishk said...

those look delicious,

Work from home India

Unknown said...

What's for dinner? I can answer that question tonight! Thanks Kasey

Anonymous said...

I made these last night! The family loved it. 4 thumbs up! Thanks, Sue

Maureen said...

Looks delicious!

Unknown said...

these look yummy! the kids will love them! tomorrow's lunch or dinner (i have a chicken in the fridge). enjoy your weekend! xo susan

stacy di said...

I made the HUGE mistake of cooking every night when my kids were born, and now it's expected. Should have only cooked every couple of weeks...you're brilliant.

Though, I've always done a horrible job of housecleaning...so much so, that we have to call in the professionals to take care of things.

The Flying Bee said...

YUM!

Martha said...

Kasey...that looks amazing and so yummy...I cannot wait to make it:)
Happy weekend to you:)

bethchien said...

that looks devine!

Scott and Rebekah said...

sounds amazing!! I can't wait to try it!!!

paige said...

you're such a rocking foodie blogger....i mean seriously, the whisk in the pan is priceless

these sound divine!

Jonathan & Megan Lenz said...

sounds delish! i think i will make those next week! thanks for the recipe.

Unknown said...

That looks down right deeeeeeelish!

Nice photos too :)

:) T

m said...

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Law1sfab said...

wow that food look's amazing love the pictures, thanks for following my blog ....I have a better one if you want to check it out. xx


http://thatssoyestreday.blogspot.com/

Hood Canal Gal said...

I'm seriously considering adopting your cooking philosophy! I can handle every 2 weeks.

Can't wait to try these babies, YUMMMMMMMM!!!

Melanie said...

It's 10:45 pm on Friday night and I could eat this right now:) YUM!

Gail said...

Those look A-maz-ing. Yummy. I'll definitely be making those soon! :) Thanks!

Brenna LaPray said...

I remember you making these for me when you came to visit. You were so kind to a postpartum, fat, tired, new mom of twins! You truly are a friend like no other!

gilstrapdesigns said...

Oh these look so good I've gotta try them.

Nishant said...

I am sooo making these, thanks for sharing Kasey
work at home in india

Rachel said...

I am going to make this really soon! It looks so so good.

Robyn said...

I meant to comment on this a couple weeks ago. I've made a zillion different chicken enchilada recipes over the years...hands down, this one is NOW my husbands favorite! THANKS!