2.04.2010

White truffle mac n cheese.....

Alrighty.

Since you all begged for my famous mac n cheese recipe....

and i mean begged...

down on one knee and all...

i could not disappoint you with my usual

Kraft mac n cheese.

NOT...

that it's not good or anything..

we all love powdered cheese...

but trust me....

when i cook..and it's not often...

my whole family will actually

be happy for days.

Then it gives me a week or two

till i have to really put something together again.

{trust me....works like a charm}

I'm pretty darn sure The Pioneer Woman will

be calling me tomorrow...

begging me ..

so that she can re-create it..

over on her cooking site.

I'll tell her.. maybe...

who knows...

she might ask me to come for a weekend..

and help her cook it..

maybe.

{note to pioneer woman: call me- 555-1212}





So here it is.

I will list all the ingredients at the bottom of the post..

but since i'm a step by step kinda girl...

i'll walk ya thru it.

You will need to preheat oven to 350 degrees.










First..you are going to want to grate the following cheeses:
3/4 c. Gruyere cheese
3/4 c. Fontina cheese
3/4 c. White Cheddar cheese
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese




Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil. Add salt and re-boil
before adding the pasta.





While the pasta is cooking, heat the butter,

over medium heat in a saucepan

until it begins to bubble

but not letting it brown.














Cook the pasta {al dente}

according to the package instructions.

drain, put back into pot and set aside.








As soon as the butter is bubbling, whisk in the flour to

create a roux for the white-sauce base.

Cook the flour and butter, over low heat,

for about 5 minutes,

then add the hot milk in a steady stream while

stirring constantly.


Cook the white sauce for 8 minutes, or until thickened.

Add the salt, white pepper, garlic, 1 tbsp of the white truffle oil,

cayenne pepper, and nutmeg.

Finally, mix in the Gruyere, cheddar and Fontina cheeses.





Cook for two more minutes while mixing it all together

until smooth.

{over very low heat}






Add the cheese sauce to the pasta....

trying not to stick your mouth under the cheese

as you pour it.

I did...

and even though it is so good...

i burned my tongue.

Mix it all up...



Pour into prepared baking dish.







{note to self: must get manicure}

Mix together the panko breadcrumbs, parsley,

and parm cheese in a small Bowl and sprinkle over the

top of the pasta.





Bake for 15-20 minutes until all is right in the world.

Or until lightly brown and bubbly.

Let it stand for about 5 minutes...

and drizzle an additional

1 tbsp of white truffle oil over the top.




Serve in a pretty bowl...

or not.

It's up to you.

Seriously...did you want to see it in my

kids plastic bowls...

no..

i didn't think so.

Enjoy!

Ingredients:

3/4 pound elbow macaroni pasta

4 tbsp unsalted better

4 tbsp all purpose flour

3 c whole HOT milk {i use low fat, but it's divine with whole milk}

1 tsp ground white pepper

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper {depending on your taste}

3/4 c. grated Gruyere cheese

3/4 c. grated fontina cheese

3/4 c. grated White cheddar cheese

1/2 c. grated parm cheese

1/4 c. panko bread crumbs

1 tsp granulated garlic { optional}

1 tbsp chopped parsley

1 tbsp white truffle oil & 1 tbsp for drizzling

3/4 tsp salt
......................................
{*one small side note....if you get a chance to pick up the new Artful Blogging...
my good friend Paige of Simple Thoughts is on page 40! Way to go girl;-)}


















59 comments:

Faded Plains said...

That looks so good...definetly gonna have to try this one.

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Yum. :)

Ruth

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Wow. My kids wouldn't eat it (and seriously, if I'm buying truffle oil it's not getting wasted on their Kraft-box pallets), but I might just have to make this and sit down and eat the entire pan. Fantastic!

Love the Decor! said...

Yum I am seriously drooling!!

Unknown said...

My sister in law thinks she makes the best mac and cheese. Well, I just might have to copy yours and show her. What's for dinner tonight? We are having fish tacos! Easy peasy.

Unknown said...

Looks sssoooo delicious!!!
I make mine with goat cheese, but since I can almost smell this :), I'm writing down the recipe, and will give it a try!!! Thanks for sharing it with us. xo

Julie Harward said...

You know, I've been thinking about making some mac and cheese lately...So, I will be making this one...looks very yummy! Thank you for sharing it..I think you must be a good cook! Come say hi :D

The Little Red Shop said...

Mmmm....thank you for the lovely step by step...your dishes are pretty.

Grating harps scare me.

: )

Julie M.

bethchien said...

mmmmm that looks absolutely delish!

truly blessed said...

yummm! okay, fess up, were you really just wanting to show off that marvelous baby blue pot and adorable measuring cup? if so...i love 'em. :)

Kari said...

i don't know if i love your recipe or fab dishes more!
thanks for sharing.

Tracy ~Seeking Refinement~ said...

never will believe you again that you're not a chef. seriously, that recipe is Gour-MET ('t' pronounced...)

Yes, you may bring your white truffle mac to my house when you come. I have the wine all ready for us.

xoxo

Tricia said...

That looks SO yummy but unfortunately you lost me after ingredient #5...pitiful I know. I'm hoping my daughter will hurry and grow up so she can cook for us!

traci said...

yep, i was right....sinful. i love mac & cheese - anykind. i will try this soon.

Dandy said...

Holy moly. I think I love you.

LuLu said...

White truffle oil just made my most wanted list!!!
delic!!!!
now what wine did you select for this?
xo,
LuLu

mimi charmante said...

I really think I love that blue pot... love love.
Manicure???? Aren't you saving for a certain trip? Didn't you *stop in* at anthro today? What part of "saving" do these activities fall into?
I will definitely be trying that mac and cheese - after our trip, after pierre has fallen in love and I can let myself go...
xx

Leah C said...

Mmm, mmm, good:) Sounds delish...I'll have to try it!

L @ Salt and Sentiment said...

ohhhh I had white truffle mac and cheese recently at a cafe and it was amazing! not as amazing as yours I am sure. But still, pretty darn good. I will have to try your recipe. ~growl~ That was my stomach!

Donna said...

LOOKS SO YUMMY...and it really makes me so ashamed I just served my four year old KRAFT!

Mande said...

Yummy! We are going to be making this over the weekend. Perfect for a little super bowl family dinner. Thank you sooooo much for sharing this.

PCovi said...

PW needs this!
I need to hunt down some of these unusual ingredients...anything that says "truffle" in the name is always yummy!!!

Gail said...

Yummy. There's nothing like warm comfort food when it's cold outside. By the way, did you get this recipe from the 'I Can Cook' book you got for Christmas?

Preppy Mama said...

Oh Yum!! My jeans will seriously never fit again!! Can't wait to make it!!
Thanks!

paige said...

holy cow my friend
i'm so impressed
we will no longer joke about "kasey's kraft mac&cheese"
at our place
&
ps
thank you for the small side note
kiss kiss

Sarah said...

Get OUTTA HERE! I just was at Krogers buying cooking sherry and saw this same truffle oil...thought to myself...wonder what I could make with that. I come home-happen to look at your blog and see this same ingredient! YUM!
Sarah
Vintage Lily

Jboo said...

Wow!! Looks so yummy!!!

Congrats to Sweet Paige!

Janet

mrs boo radley said...

Duuuuuuuuuude. Num.

paula said...

hmm, wonder how I am going to get this to fit into our new healthy eating regimen?

Ashley said...

Do share where you got that adorable blue pot! <3

alee said...

Yummy...
to bad my kids only think mac-n-cheese comes from a box {& mcallisters deli :)}!
& how funny I just put down "where women create" ...Congrats to your lovely friend Paige!

Em said...

This looks delicious! Yummy! Where do you get the truffle sauce?

Devon said...

Thank you for posting a step by step guide on how to make this delicious treat, I am new to the kitchen and as a timid cook I appreicate the easy steps! My fiance is going to love this!! Thanks Kasey

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

One can never go wrong with truffle oil and cheese! YUMMERS!

Now one thing...I'm shocked you serve the kids food in plastic bowls! You, the goddess of all things gloriously divine in the decor world?!?!

MODERN Prairie Girl said...

You're killing this lactose intolerant woman over here in WA! Heavens, I didn't think I missed cheese...but appears that I do..if paired with truffle oil, of course.

:( sad face for me...not for the fam though--I might give it a go!
Lara

Ali said...

BE.STILL.MY.HEART!! I think I gained 10 pounds just reading this post! I may have a hard time finding all of the ingredients over here, but it won't stop me from trying! Yummy, thanks for sharing. Now, I must wipe off the screen from where I licked it! Later..

Sandy and Joe/rhubarb reign said...

Hi Kasey -- Yum! Thanks for sharing. Thanks, too, for the note on our blog. Will look forward to seeing you at the Expo Show! xo

Martha said...

I will never again believe you don't cook because that is definitely more GOURMET than my dinners:)
Thanks for the recipe...definitely a keeper
I was waiting to see that glass of wine when you were cooking... because that is what I do:) {chuckle, chuckle...I guess unless of course it was during the day, right?)
Have a great weekend:)

Jenny said...

Sounds delicious!

Rue said...

That is soooo much better than Kraft and I'll be making it for sure. Although Rich might freak out and think his favorite had been replaced. He's the one that keeps throwing it the cart and why I have so much of it. If I didn't make it once every two weeks with hot dogs, he might leave me LOL

Congratulations on two years of blogging :)

xoxo,
rue

Wendy said...

Wow!! I guess the girl can cook after all!! Just kiddin'! Looks great! I mean really.

So you're coming in July and not in April? We'll have to get together for sure!

KayEllen said...

Wow~~~ looks very yummy!!


Have a good weekend:)

Kay Ellen

Unknown said...

that looks amazing! i have to get truffle oil....thanks kasey! enjoy the weekend!

Mary said...

Oh, I am so makin' this! I am quite a fan of powdered cheese, but Gruyere comes in a close second. ~mary~

Kim Hancock said...

Oh... that looks so delicious!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Yummy. I have to try this.

I hope your trip was fun. Just coming by to catch up on the past few days.

Its So Very Cheri said...

Grabbed your button too.

Cheri

A Lifestyle Thing said...

Kasey, you are too sweet! Thanks for your nice comment on my blog. This mac n cheese looks like it would be the yummiest ever!! xo sharon

luciwallis said...

Thanks I always love adding a new mac and cheese recipe to my book, you can never have enough!
Bristol

Bubu said...

¿puedo escribirte en español?? mis amigas portuguesas y brasileñas adoran que les escriba en español, y a mi me encanta tu lengua, el portugués es la lengua más bonita que existe, además se entiende muy bien!!!!

un beso!!! beijos!!!

Bubu said...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hello Friend, I love love love your blog, it‘s very interesting!!! I really like your style!! i‘ll visit you many times for sure honey.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Brenna LaPray said...

Yummy!

Anonymous said...

ok! you even make mac n cheese look beautiful! i cant wait to try it! thanks for sharing!

Andrea Villarreal said...

That looks absolutely heavenly. I love the richness that oil brings to it. And all the glorious cheese.......:)

Kari said...

thanks... we made it.
READ HERE
http://kmenslage.blogspot.com/2010/02/white-truffle-mac-n-cheese.html

it was fab!
thank you, amazing recipe!

Lisa said...

THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH THIS WAS THAT THE BOWL YOU SERVED IT IN WASN'T FULL OF IT.

WOW, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MAC & CHEESE. GONNA TRY THIS FOR SURE. BUT MY BOWL WILL BE FULL. :) THANK YOU!!!

HUGS FROM MAINE

Breenuh said...

I'm a first-time reader, & I must say that you are a joy to read - I kept giggling to myself! This recipe looks so lush. I can't wait to try it!

Juliana said...

thanks for posting this yummy recipe and lovely pics... made it last week... family devoured it in a flash... ps.. love your blog.

Chez Zizi said...

I just tried the recipe and LOVED it!!!
Yummy~~

Zizette