3.16.2010

I'm feeling crabby......



I think i need a bigger kitchen if i am going to continue this thing called....


cooking for my family.


I already told bryan that i need something a little


bigger then the galley size kitchen i now have.


He asked if i had a bigger kitchen would i indeed cook more...


and i said....


probably.


I might even cook once a week.


I'm not signing anything though....


so don't get any ideas...okay.






I am not afraid to admit that i don't hand make


everything.


As a matter of fact....i buy my mango salsa from this lovely boy named Ernesto.


He runs a little seafood shop here in town...called Diamond Seafood.


They have the best fish tacos. yum.


So...when i showed up yesterday to get some photos for you


on how to make some killer mango salsa for the crab cakes...


Ernesto informed me that he didn't have any ripe mango's ...


which meant i couldn't photograph the little segment for you on how


to make Ernesto's mango salsa.


I have to go back tomorrow for that .....so if you wait a few more days...


i will post the recipe later in the week.


I had to come up with a back up plan for last nights crab cakes...


which is okay with me....


and i think you'll love it.


Life would be so boring if everything went according to plan...









I will list the ingredients at the bottom...

but walk you thru the steps.

Crab cakes with avocado pomegranate salsa.





I get my lump crab at Costco...it's the least expensive I've found.


Open the container and empty it into a med size bowl.








In a separate bowl you are going to want to mix


your egg, mayo, mustard, dry mustard,


dried oregano and worcester sauce.









Mix it up real well.





pour it into the bowl that's holding your lump crab.







fold it all together.


Call your husband and tell him he's going to get lucky tonight.


{ahem}


not that kind of lucky.....


you girls!


Lucky in the ...


i've made dinner tonight and it took me all day to make it...


but in reality it only took a total of 20 minutes.




Fold in the 1/2 cup of bread crumbs to the crab mixture.


I like to use my hands....


it's just the way i roll.





but because i'm holding a camera...


and i can't really afford an assistant at this point...


i couldn't take a photo of me using my hands.


sorry.


It's for your own good.


It's either an assistant or a week in France.


France won.









After you mix the bread crumbs in....


add your melted butter and fold it all back together.






Alright....here is the one handed shot of me molding the crab cake.


mold them so that they are about the size of your palm.


You can make about 8 of them if you make them that size...


i like to make small ones when i'm hosting a party...


then you can make about 16 of them.


Or...


go totally crazy....


and make 4 really large one's.


I can't help you here....


it's up to you as to how many you want.






After you make them...


you are going to want to brown each side lightly


on the stove top.














Once you've lightly browned each side...


you are going to bake them in the oven


at 350*


for about 10 minutes



Avocado pomegranate salsa:


{make ahead of time and stick in the fridge till crab cakes are ready}


{also makes for great salsa at a party with some crackers}







I get the pomegranate seeds at trader joe's ..it's in the refrigerated section...


i'm sorry if you don't have a trader joe's...


you can omit the seeds if you want....


or if you have children...


tell them you'll pay them $1 to de-seed a pomegranate...


it's tedious work.....


and most kids will eat all the seeds first...


go figure.









Dice up one or two zucchini's......


you'll need about 1-2 cups worth..












Season with dried oregano


{or fresh if you have some}


olive oil, salt and pepper.






roast in the over at 400*


for 25 minutes...or till lightly brown.





Cut up your avocado....


mix it with the pomegranate seeds,


feta cheese and roasted zucchini.







mix it all up.





squeeze some fresh lime juice over the salsa....


and viola....


Crab cakes with avocado salsa.










If you feel the need to really go all out...

make these with this {mac n cheese}.

{oh..winner of the pretty things is: Preppy mama! }



Crab Cakes:


1 can lump crab


1 tbsp dried oregano


2 tbsp mayo


1 tbsp yellow mustard


1/2 tsp dried mustard


1 egg


1 tsp Worcester sauce


1/2 c bread crumbs


or


1/2 c. panko crumbs for crunch cakes


2 tbsp melted butter.


........................


Avocado Pomegranate Salsa:


1 ripe and diced avocado


1-2 zucchini


1 tbsp olive oil


1/4 c crumbled feta cheese


1/2 c pomegranate seeds


1 tsp dried oregano


1 tbsp fresh lime juice


salt & pepper.
























40 comments:

FiftyCentLove said...

I just died! YUM!! YUM!!! YUM!!!!

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

Oh. Wow. I am so hungry now.

Too bad I'm stuck at home with a vomiting two-year-old. Later this week I will have to try these!!

Kimberly
http://yeptheyareallmine.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

This looks delicious!!!

xo

Katy Noelle said...

I came, I read, I saw .... I said, "YUM!" (Why can't this computer type larger?) i.e. Y Y uuuuuuu Mmmmm! I left. I was quiet. I've come back to crab back! Now I'm really hungry for fish tacos and crab cakes with mango salsa! I said, "H U N G R Y !!!" Thanks a lot! I mean it!

Love this anyway (L O ... well you know), Kate

bethchien said...

that looks amazing!
LUCKY hubby!
and is Ernesto is soo cute!

Drew's Mom said...

Yum! Those look delicious... and you make it sound so easy. Might.. might.. just have to give them a try. Thanks for the recipes.

Laura said...

yummy! i may have to make those this weekend - thanks for the recipes!

Preppy Mama said...

I can't do crab cakes, but that salsa looks like heaven and I am so trying it!!! Thanks!!!

Martha said...

I am drooling...YUM!!!! I am making it next week when I get back...
I swear you have some of the best recipes!!!
I've tried that with needing the bigger kitchen too...it worked to get my little kitchen friend work station but not for a bigger kitchen just yet...steps at a time, right?

Julie Harward said...

This looks so good, love all the stuff in it! Thanks for the good lesson here today. I love the salsa too, will be waiting for that! Come say hi :D

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

I'm drooling! That Ernesto...

The crab cakes look pretty good too.

mimi charmante said...

okay, if I didn't recognize your hand, I would say that I don't believe you. have you gone *cook* on me???
I am getting a little worried - if that has changed, lord knows what else has changed...??? you aren't going to spring something crazy on me in France, in 23 DAYS!!!! are you?
xx

Love the Decor! said...

Pardon me while I Drool...

THat looks like a wonderful meal!! crab cakes are a favorite of mine!!
I'm having a giveaway stop over and get entered

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

This looks great as it looks more crabby than bready! I am writing down recipe. Yummy! Did you oil the griddle or baking dish? Oh, love your measuring cup. Where did you get it? Thanks :)
~anita

Unknown said...

Oh Kasey, That took longer then 20 min. You had to think about what you are having then you had to go and get the stuff. I add all this time in for the credit. I will be makin your crab cakes and salsa.
Thanks KarenSue

Amanda said...

I don't even like crab (or any seafood or fish for that matter) and you make them look so delish!

Carrie Ann Eddleman said...

Mmmmm, those look so delicious. Thanks for sharing...if my hubs gets lucky I may even give it a try sometime soon. Take care, Carrie

fawn said...

omg, that looks amazing! thank you for sharing.

Preppy Mama said...

Seriously, I am a loser! Thank you thank you thank you. You really have no idea the day I have had. I have just taken a break from sobbing..told ya I'm a loser!!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Yum looks delicious and maybe I need to try making this to take away my crabby mood! :)

Jacki said...

I love that you gave full description here. So detailed. I am tucking this one away in my future meal with family file. I love it! Thanks for a taste the other day too!
Twil Shades

Shannon said...

Now I am really hungry for some dinner, they look delicious!!

a.love said...

These photos HAVE to be with your new 35! Holy wow your cooking prep pics are phenomenal!!!
and, OMG Martha! What have you done with Kasey?! I feel so inferior :)

Backyard Candle Co. said...

Ok, those look amazing, but my question is How on earth did you get your kids to eat that???? Mine wouldn't have touched it. Me on the other hand, would have devoured it!:)

Jboo said...

Wow!! I thought you didn't cook much! Whoa --I am so impressed! Food and the photos! :)

Janet

styling fabulous said...

ok...i am officially drooling...yes...drooling over my laptop...
i absolutely cannot wait to try this...must i wait for a special occasion? hmmm...wed evening sounds like a good enough reason...so tomorrow nite...this will be my feast...

Chez Zizi said...

Is it your goal to make me cook more or give me inspiration for my new recipes? I did the Mac 'n Cheese last night - yumm-o and now Crab Cakes? My FAVORITE that I just might have to make those tomorrow.

Keep 'em coming Kasey.

Zizette

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

That salsa looks absolutely delicious! Yum! I haven't had pomegranate seeds in about a year. I love them!

Wendy said...

YUM!!

Tracy ~Seeking Refinement~ said...

Yum, Kasey.....yum yum yum.

xoxoxo

Tricia said...

I am still stuffed from a big dinner tonite but your creation is making my mouth water- YUM!

adrienne said...

I love that you barely cook and have killer recipes!! Thanks Kasey! I am going to make these.

Melanie said...

I don't eat crabcakes but the look delish!

Tiedupmemories said...

Delicious!

paige said...

like i said yesterday

HOW DO YOU DO IT ALL
&
go
to
paris
in your spare time

looks delish!!!!!!
Crab cakes with avocado pomegranate salsa?
good grief
you rock

Tara said...

delish. always looking for a good crabcake recipe and it looks like I have found it. I've been dying to try your truffle mac & cheese and I do think they will go together nicely. my husband just might get lucky this week...
~Tara

The Celebration Co. said...

Kasey,
I just look forward to waking up and seeing just what lovely things your up to for the day...The crab cakes look divine can't wait to try them....Blessings E.M.

Anita said...

You are going to have your own little cooking show here soon :) Wouldn't that be awesome....someone else chop sit up and puts all the stuff into those little bowls and you just pour it all together and voila~ Even I could do it...well, maybe not.

J.J. said...

that looks so delicious!!!!

kanishk said...

Those look delicious... and you make it sound so easy. Might.. might.. just have to give them a try. Thanks for the recipes.
home jobs without registration